19.9.09

You pretty much have to be a terrible person to say this kind of thing.

I originally posted this to my Facebook account on May 16, 2009:

What follows is a quick little blog post that contains some fairly harsh, but also fairly appropriate, language in response to a horrible thing I heard this morning. In other words, you've been warned.

OK, I was on Welcome Crew duty this morning. I expect the usual barbs from the pro-forced-birthers hanging out on the sidewalk with their bloody fetus posters.

"Your mom chose life!" (Yes, she chose to have me. She is pro-choice, and I wouldn't have it any other way.)

"You're just like Hitler/Stalin/a child molester/a prostitute!" (Right. I'm just like all of those people. Logic: Use some.)

"I'll pray for you!!" (Um, no thanks. Please don't.)

But that's all standard fare. If they're not yelling at women or trying to force pamphlets and rosaries through car windows, then they're standing there and praying quietly. Whatever. I expect it. Really, I'm just there to be a friendly face to the patients coming in.

Today, shortly after getting out of my car, I heard something that really infuriated me. Now, just think to yourself: What might be the most dickish and insensitive thing you can say in a Connecticut college town right about now?

Try: "That Wesleyan girl got what was coming to her!"

... Yeah.

(In case you weren't aware, Johanna Justin-Jinich, the Wesleyan student who was stalked and gunned down a while working at her job in a bookstore recently, was a women's rights activist who volunteered at Planned Parenthood. I assume this is what that asshat was referring to.)

OK, I don't particularly care what your views on abortion are. That is a horrible thing to say. Period. We generally ignore the protesters - the same treatment you'd give a petulant little child. I didn't say anything to this dude, but if I could have?

"Go fuck yourself sideways with a rusty hammer!"

No comments:

Post a Comment