11.4.10

For those who love spicy food...

Upon flipping through some old issues of Bust magazine, I realized something: Bust publishes recipes!! Of course, I cut them all out and pasted them into my rapidly growing cookbook. Dave and I recently made this really, really delicious jerk chicken, so I want to share it.

It's pretty easy. You make this marinade, throw the chicken in overnight, and then grill it or broil it. We chose to go with the former because it was a lovely weekend, and who doesn't want to fire up the grill when it's warm and sunny?

The marinade... Mix half a coffee cup of malt vinegar or balsamic vinegar (I chose the latter), a heaping handful of chopped onion, a regular handful of chopped garlic, a smidgen of dried thyme and dried oregano, and a giant plop of your favorite minced chiles. (Wash your hands after handling these! Or better yet, use gloves! Definitely don't rub your eyes right after!) Add a pinch each of ground cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg, a healthy dose of salt and pepper, two good shots of Worcestershire sauce, and a couple shots of vegetable oil or olive oil. Mix this all up, toss your chicken in there, and leave it overnight.

A few notes: I know those aren't precise measurements, and honestly, I was kind of confused as to what 'coffee cup,' 'handful,' 'plop,' and 'pinch' should have meant. I kinda just winged it. As for the chiles, I used seven habanero peppers and three serrano peppers. We love spicy food at the condo. I chopped them all up and mixed the habaneros with a little honey before I mixed it into the marinade. To be perfectly frank, I went home that night genuinely worried that that amount of habanero could make one of my friends ill, but I was quite relieved to find that that was definitely not the case. We also tried this marinade with fish. It was spicy, but also nice and mild. (However, I think we may have overcooked the fish a little.)

Anyway, the chicken turned out to be really tender and extremely spicy (but not spicy enough to make anybody sick). If you love spicy food, I would highly, highly recommend you try this recipe. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment